WHY DO I COLLECT?

Why do I collect? That's easy... because it's so much fun! Ever since I can remember I have been going to flea markets, antique shops, yard sales, you name it. Wherever I could find some sort of interesting treasure or cool piece of junk! I love driving around in search of new places or revisiting my favorite spots. I come from a family of collectors and have lived amongst antiques and collectibles my whole life. I have a passion for decorating especially with things that I find in my travels or even things found in the trash... which by the way can be some of the best stuff! But for those who share the same passion, I don't have to tell you... you all know what fun it is and how addicting it can be! Here I will share my collections, interesting finds, decorating tips, photos, projects, friends collections and thoughts and whatever else I may find along the way.


2.22.2010

RESTAURANT & HOTEL CHINA


I love vintage diners so I guess it makes sense that I love the china. Mostly I go for cups and saucers and smaller plates like for salad and bread. Butter pats are great too but it's harder to find ones with a logo or name on them. I see many with nice patterns or stripes which are more popular but I tend to try and find the ones that are more unusual. I came across a plate with blue decorating and the name THOMPSON, which is actually my name, written in script across the top. So, of course I had to find as many as I could of this pattern! I learned that these came from a chain of restaurants that started out in Danboro, Illinois in the 40's. Aside from the blue, more ornate pattern there are also ones that simply say THOMPSON in brown in the same script lettering. I've been able to find many cups, mugs, bowls and plates with the THOMPSON name and these are what makes up most of my collection. While out antiquing one day, I came across a spoon that said THOMPSON and then was able to find more of the flatware on Ebay.

4 comments:

  1. Commenting on the restaurant and the hotel china, i collect the Taylor Smith and Taylor name china because that is my family's names and because i like the looks of it. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sounds great! I haven't seen any with that name... would love to see some pics of your collection sometime! I like all kinds with names... but I also collect Thompson's because that is my name... and I also like the looks! Glad you like my site!!

      Delete
  2. Hi there I'm a long time collector of restaurant china. Thompson's was originally what they called a "one armed Dairy Lunch" opening his first lunch room in Chicago late 1890's. Eventually expanding into one of the largest national chains of the 1920's. The chain finally became a cafeteria style restaurant. Alot has been written on Thompson's lunch rooms easily googled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! THANKS so much for the info... I always love to hear more about Thompson's!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...